Risk of HPV infection without previous VACCINATION.

My soon-to-be wife never got vaccinated for HPV. I've had multiple partners in the past, I could have it and not know since there's no test for men. Do you know anything about how serious it is? What are my options here? We get married in a month and she has only had her first shot for the vaccine.

Hpv usually causes conditions such as warts, cervical cancer in women etc. In males, genital warts are caused by hpv. These warts cause no systemic symptoms. They are present in the genital area, could also grow to a large disfiguring size. They are extremely contagious.

If you haven't got warts yet, there are less chances of having hpv, however a possibility of having sub clinical hpv infection still exists.

I can advise you that if you get warts they need to be treated immediately. Apart, from this you need to follow a safe sex practice with a single partner.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had sex in about three years old patientand only plan to have sex with my wife for the rest of my life. I have had no signs of warts or anything like that. My wife had her first shot for HPV yesterday. We have not had sex with each other yet, she is a virgin and we get married in one month. Based on your professional experience, would it be safe for us to have unprotected sex on our wedding night? If not, would it be safe for us to have sex using a condom? Once again, I have had no signs of any warts. The only reason I'm concerned about HPV is because I can't test for it and heard that it is common. If I did have some strain of HPV, how likely would it be that I gave it to her and if I gave it to her, how likely would it be that it would cause her any harm?

You can surely have sex with a condom on your wedding night. If she has taken the shot yesterday, she should produce antibodies in 4 to 6 weeks . So it would be best to have protected sex for a few weeks.

If you give her hpv, she would get genital warts too. But the strain of hpv causing genital warts and cervical cancer are different, hence you would be transmitting the strains that would cause genital warts.

Thanks, She only has the first shot though. She can't get the next one until 2 months from now and then the final one until 3 months for now. Are you saying she would still have the antibodies in 4-6 weeks?
Also, I currently don't have ant digms of HPV. I'm just being cautious.
Thanks again

She would produce antibodies in 4 to 6 weeks following the first shot, however they may be in a low titre, hence the three doses. You could wait for her to finish her doses in order to be cautious and have sex using a condom till then.