Henoch-Schonlein Purpura.

23 M. Last week I went to the doctor with a rash on my lower legs. Two doctors agreed it was Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. They did a quick blood test and said platelet level were normal and that and they did a urinalysis and said there was no protein. They said this all was normal and that everything should clear up within a few weeks. I got home and did some research online for myself and noticed that proteinuria was a symptom that could indicate kidney involvement and I have noticed for about the last 6 months that I have had foamy urine on and off. I had a few blood and urine tests back between August and October due to high bilirubin and I have never seen anything other than a trace result on the protein in urine but now I am worried that my kidneys are failing. Any thoughts?

Category: Urologist

Expert:  Dr. Gautam Banga replied 4 Days.

Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring Consult a Specialist Service.

Frothy urine does not always mean Proteinuria. However I would recommend a followup evaluation for you. This is because Henoch–Schönlein purpura ina adults may have complications ( on the other had in children it seldom presents with long term complications). Proteinuria as such is not dangerous to Kidney. But it could be a sign of a kidney damage.

Ruling out this is very simple. You need to get the following tests :

1.Urine Routine and Dipstick protein
2. Renal Function tests.

If the urine protein levels are inconclusive you can go for a 24 hours urine protein measurement. Most likely the results will be normal, but just to be sure a followup recommendation recommended. Do let me know the results.

I will keep this consult open so that you can ask followups/ clarifications.

Thank you for the reply, I am going back in tomorrow for further evaluation. I will let you know the results when I can.

Expert:  Dr. Gautam Banga replied 3 Days.

Sure. Take care.
Dr Banga

Admin Message -
Your consult will remain open for 1 month or 3 further follow-ups.
In-house Physician

The doctor did a urinalysis and renal function and told me everything looked normal. I am planning on having it done again this week. I am concerned that the rash is still present however (it has been 2 and 1/2 weeks). The older spots disappear it seems but new ones continue to appear. It is concentrated on my lower legs and waist, worse towards the ankles and there is a small concentration of smaller spot around my elbows. There are some random spots around the rest of my body but they are small. It seems to flare up with activity. Does this sound normal for HSP?

Expert:  Dr. Gautam Banga replied 2 Days.

It is a good news that Renal function test and Urine tests are normal. The rash can last upto 10 - 12 weeks. So it is normal. However do review with your Doctor if the rash persists/new one appears for more than 2 more weeks.

Dr. Gautam Banga
MS Surgery: MGM Medical College & M.Y Hospital Indore
Residency: M.Ch, Urology, SMS Medical College & Hospitals Jaipur
Medical School: MBBS, BJ Medical College, Pune, 2001
Training in Urethral Reconstructive surgery: Kulkarni Reconstructive Urology center, Pune