Pink, raised mole in back. What is this?

My husband has a spot/mole on his back that has started changing. It showed up about two years ago as a clear, flat rough spot. It stayed that way until about six months ago; then it started to turn more of a pink color, and over the last several weeks it has gotten a bit more pink, a bit larger and has raised a bit. I finally got him to let me take a picture, see attached. I think he needs to get it checked out.

The picture you have posted is of an atypical mole. This would need an investigation from your dermatologist.

The dermatologist would examine it under a dermatoscope and if then required would do a biopsy from the lesion to check whether it's a melanoma or not.

I would like to give you some information regarding moles.

A new or changing mole or blemish is the most common warning sign for melanoma. Variation in color and/or an increase in diameter, height, or asymmetry of borders of a pigmented lesion are noted.

Symptoms such as bleeding, itching, ulceration, and pain in a pigmented lesion also warrant an evaluation.

ABCDE criteria for a changing mole, which are as follows:

Asymmetry: Half the lesion does not match the other half.

Border irregularity: The edges are ragged, notched, or blurred.

Color variegation: Pigmentation is not uniform and may display shades of tan, brown, or black; white, reddish, or blue discoloration is of particular concern.

Diameter: A diameter greater than 6 mm is characteristic, although some melanomas may have smaller diameters; any growth in a nevus warrants an evaluation.

Evolving: Changes in the lesion over time are characteristic.

Lesions exhibiting these features should be considered potential melanoma.

In your case i could see a colour variation and hence i advised it to be investigated further.