A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I haven't got my periods for the last 7 months. I am not pregnant.

Resolved Question:

Dear doctor,

I am not sure what to do with my problem. I haven't got my periods for the last seven months. II am sure that I am not pregnant. I made it confirm by using some pregnancy test kits and also by performing a blood test. Sometimes, I feel a pain in my abdomen which is like the periods pain. This pain gets worse at times and comes frequently at times. Should I consult with my GP or some gynaecologist? What are the possible reasons of missing periods for this much long time? I can't take regular tablets and pills as my heart also have some problems. Is there any safe medication to bring my periods back to its normalcy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
Dr. John Monheit is online now

Expert:  Dr. John Monheit replied 4 Days.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

I do completely understand your problem, not getting periods for more than 6 months needs is definitely of great concern.

I would strongly suggest you to take appointment from a Gynaecologist as early possible. It is not advisable to take medicines over the counter without a complete evaluation of the condition and moreover having mentioned that you have certain heart problem it is definitely not advisable.

The possible causes for your problem (secondary amenorrhoea) are

  1. Ectopic pregnancy
  2. Poly cystic ovarian syndrome
  3. Hyperthyroidism
  4. Ovarian dysfunction ( primary ovarian insufficiency)
  5. Pituary disease ( hyper prolactinemia, space occupying lesion in brain)
  6. Obesity
  7. Severe anxiety or emotional stress
  8. Sudden loss of excess of weight
  9. Certain drugs ( if used) to treat certain psychiatric problem like schizophrenia.

To evaluate the cause in your condition, it is necessary to undergo certain basic tests like USG abdomen, Estradiol levels

Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH level), Luteinizing hormone (LH level), Prolactin level, Serum hormone levels such as testosterone levels and

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). The gynaecologist will be able to diagnose the problem and treat accordingly based on the reports of these tests. Without any furthur delay, consult a Gynaecologist for further evaluation. I would advise you to not to get emotionally stressed up as most of the causes for secondary amenorrhoea is treatable completely.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.