I haven't got my periods for the last 7 months. I am not pregnant.

Dear doctor,

I am not sure what to do with my problem. I haven't got my periods for the last seven months. II am sure that I am not pregnant. I made it confirm by using some pregnancy test kits and also by performing a blood test. Sometimes, I feel a pain in my abdomen which is like the periods pain. This pain gets worse at times and comes frequently at times. Should I consult with my GP or some gynaecologist? What are the possible reasons of missing periods for this much long time? I can't take regular tablets and pills as my heart also have some problems. Is there any safe medication to bring my periods back to its normalcy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

I do completely understand your problem, not getting periods for more than 6 months needs is definitely of great concern.

I would strongly suggest you to take appointment from a Gynaecologist as early possible. It is not advisable to take medicines over the counter without a complete evaluation of the condition and moreover having mentioned that you have certain heart problem it is definitely not advisable.

The possible causes for your problem (secondary amenorrhoea) are

1. Ectopic pregnancy
  2. Poly cystic ovarian syndrome
  3. Hyperthyroidism
  4. Ovarian dysfunction ( primary ovarian insufficiency)
  5. Pituary disease ( hyper prolactinemia, space occupying lesion in brain)
  6. Obesity
  7. Severe anxiety or emotional stress
  8. Sudden loss of excess of weight
  9. Certain drugs ( if used) to treat certain psychiatric problem like schizophrenia.

To evaluate the cause in your condition, it is necessary to undergo certain basic tests like USG abdomen, Estradiol levels

Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH level), Luteinizing hormone (LH level), Prolactin level, Serum hormone levels such as testosterone levels and

Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). The gynaecologist will be able to diagnose the problem and treat accordingly based on the reports of these tests. Without any furthur delay, consult a Gynaecologist for further evaluation. I would advise you to not to get emotionally stressed up as most of the causes for secondary amenorrhoea is treatable completely.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.