Insanely painful, red and swollen thumb after injury.

I smashed my thumbnail in car door over 3 months ago now (november). It just stopped being black and peeling a bit off which I understand is normal as the new nail is pushing off the dead one. Yesterday it started being so extremely painful I can't even stand it (8/10 pain) went to doctor today and she said to just wait it out and put bandaid on it and wait and ice it. But it is insanely painful (wasn't a few days ago!) Find it strange as this happened 3 months ago. Should I go see another doctor? It looks red and feels very tight and pressure. I put it in a salt warm water bath and couldn't stand the pressure from it. The finger nail is half off on one side (lifting up) so I put a bandaid on it so it doesn't catch on anything. it doesn't look or smell infected. I just don't understand why it has been so painful for 2 days now that I can't sleep. I have ice on it and taking ibuprofen. I have a lot of essays and tests to study for and I don't want to keep going to the doctor all the time and if they tell me I can't do anything not sure what I can do?It does look more red and swollen than it did a couple of days ago. 

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I saw your image.
Your nailed got infected. So,it has become red and swollen.
Apart from applying Ice pack and Ibuprofen, you should use a good Antibiotic. I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin capsule 600mg thrice daily along with anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints.
It will come down.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Hi thanks for postng back. I am awake at 5am because it is in so much pain. I saw my family dr today about it and she said there was nothing I can do and it's not infected. That's why I wanted to ask on here because teh pain is getting worse. So should I go see a different doctor and get antibiotcs?

Hi
It's better to consult another Doctor, preferably a Surgeon for second opinion.
The cause of the pain is Infection and associated inflammation. If there is collection of pus,you better get it drained.
Nothing to worry.
It will come down.

Thanks, I went to the ER today and they took off the nail and found an abssess and pus so now on clindamycin 4 times a day. Thanks again. I was just frusterated that my family doctor 2 days ago had said that it was fine and not infected! But glad it's dealt with now.Thanks again

That's great!
Now the infection will come down.