Intake of large amount of fast food and Gastritis

About three weeks ago, I went to a fast food place and wolfed down a large amount of food (cheeseburger, onion rings, fries - too much, too fatty). Normally I eat healthy stuff, not that night.

Since then (3 weeks now) I have something similar to a heart burn, but without the acid reflux and no excessive saliva production. I feel it especially after meals, but also at night. It is a light pain somewhere between mouth and stomach and it does not go away. Swallowing food does not cause pain.

All other body functions work well. I am a 45 yo male, weigh 77kg and otherwise healthy. What should I do?

Consult reply by Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Consultant Gastroenterologist.

The symptoms you are having is suggestive of acid peptic disease. This might be related or unrelated to the consumption of junk food. The simplest and easiest thing can do is to take an OTC anti ulcer medication like Prilosec once a day, just before sleep (with no food) for 10 days. Within 3-4 days you should see a difference in the symptoms. A response itself is diagnostic. Also avoid spicy and irritant foods.

Prilosec is not available OTC in Canada, only RX. Can you recommend another brand or active ingredient that would help me? Thank you!

You can ask for Omeprazole / Pantoprazol OTC (these are generic names, brand names will differ) at your local pharmacy. If this is not available you can go for Ranitidine ( Zantc OTC). Zantac 150 mg needs to be taken twice a daily before food. Thank you