Is it enough to have one dose for ovral emergency?

Hi doctor I had question regarding oral emergency as I had my period on 21 and was ended on 22 February after that today I had an unprotected sex and I found ejaculation. Is there any STD pictures seen? Are there any chances of pregnancy?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern, as you had a question related to ovral ejaculation so let me tell you something before coming to your question, as when a girl is on a period time it is advisable not to have sex and if the date is completed then should go for a sexual activity after two or three days. As in your case I understand the problem which you are facing, so as you said that your period was ended on 22ndFebruary and the day you got into sexual activity so according to me you are running in dangerous zone because of ovulation. In your case, STDpictures might be seen because it is sexually transmitted disease which is transmitted due to sexual activity and the chances of sexually transmitted infections are also there as it is caused due to STD and due to unprotected sex. As you said that you already had a pill after sex but taking only one pill is not enough as I would suggest you to go for the second one after 12 hour and for surety related to pregnancy than go for 2 more pills as it is necessary. As you mentioned that you will take the 2 pill after 12 hours then I think you are under 72 hours of precaution, then go for the second one but properly for the better surety. According to me I would suggest you to take the 2nd pill and if the problem exists then get yourself checked. Take care.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center