Is the pain in one eye, a symptom of migraine with aura?

I am a 55 year old woman who has suffered with migraines with aura since I was 14. They have come and gone over the years. Biggest trigger is artificial sweetener which I avoid and seems to keep them at bay. Yesterday I got the usual aura symptoms of a migraines, but it seemed to be in only my left eye. It lasted the same amount of time and acted the same way, but only one eye. Is this still a typical migraine? Also, I did not have any artificial sweetener that day.

Thanks for choosing Doctorspring.com

I understand your concern.Migraine pains are the worst kinds of headache and those who have that are highly unfortunate. Yes since you already are a known patient of Migraine with aura, it seems more like a migraine attack. Migraine pain at times can be atypical, presenting on only one side of the head. And at times it doesn't need any triggers. Its a complex phenomena, involving the neurotransmitter dopamine in our brain, which leads to repeated constricting and dilating of the blood vessels in the head, and hence the pain arises.

Take tylenol when you get an attack next time. Also make sure your BP is under control, because high BP can also trigger a migraine attack. If possible get your BP checked just to be sure. In case you keep getting attacks, we can discuss other modes of treatment such as dopamine antagonists or ergot alkaloids. But those are later. Hopefully your symptom will subside with tylenol.

Do post additional queries,

it is not the pain I am concerned about, but the fact that the visual aura seemed to only be in my left eye. Is this still a regular migraine?

Thanks for writing to us again.

Yes the visual aura is most probably due to migraine and it can be localized to one eye just like the pain at times get localized to one side of the head. Normally patients who have visual aura in migraine tend to complain of dizziness, and then appearance of colered spots or floaters in front of their eyes. Can i know what manifestations did you have? It will help me distinguish it from other visual disorders.

Do post additional details soon.

The aura started with a blind spot in my vision, followed by a zig zag light that got bigger in front of my eye and then faded out to the outside vision. It seemed to only be in my left eye when I closed one eye at a time. From start to finish lasted about 30 minutes.

Thanks for such elaboarate description of your symptoms.

Yes it is secondary to migraine, and that's the classical visual aura that you manisfested. As i said before, it can be localized to one eye at times.

Please make sure your BP is under control.