Lightheadedness, feeling unreal and faint. Normal EKG, ECHO, BP.

Hi, I have an anxiety disorder but recently I have been feeling CONSTANT lightheadedness and feeling faint and unreal. Also just feel out of my body. I went to the doctor and they measured my bp sitting and standing and there was a change in 10 mm Hg. I have yet to actually faint but I also raise my legs above my heart. I am just worried about this and have an another appointment at the end of the month with a specialist but I would like your opinion and hope it can make me feel less panicked because the anxiety is definitely worsening my symptoms. My EKG and echo was normal. I am on anxiety medication but it does not seem to help these symptoms. I developed pseudotumor cerebri from birth control last year, after coming off of it I no longer have it. However, I was also recently diagnosed with central sleep apnea.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have noted your symptoms and would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry.
A drop of blood pressure of 10 mmHg on standing is within normal limits.
If your symptoms persist, you may get HUTT (head up tilt test) to exclude a diagnosis of neuro-caridogenic syncope.
In the meanwhile, you can take betahistine tablets to get relief from symptoms.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Thank you. If it is neurocardiogenic syncope is that treatable and has a good prognosis? Is it possible to start treatment instead of doing the tilt test or any other diagnostics that can replace a tilt test?

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

Thank you for getting back.
Yes, there are good treatments available for treating neurocardiogenic syncope.
It is better to do tilt test and confirm the diagnosis. Empirical treatment is not a good idea.
Best wishes,
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995