Low RBC, HEMO with normal ENDOSCOPY, CT SCAN. Cause.

I have been referred to a Hem/Onc following are series of tests, endoscopy, upper Gi, and CT scan. Had colonoscopy in Oct 2011 that was normal. All tests have been normal except hemo count. In addition to low hemo, my RBC's are slightly low (4.09). Ferritin is normal, but UIBC is high (353) and iron saturation is low (14). On November 7th, I had a one-time episode of blood in my vomit. My internist believes I had some type of bleed of unknown origin. Three fecal samples have all been free of blood. I don't understand what the Hem/Onc will be looking for. Any guidance?

Thank your for your query at DoctorSpring.com.
Considering your finance's symptoms - burning sensation and abdominal cramps, I suspect a possible Acute Drug Induced Gastritis. This is caused due to irritation of the stomach and intestinal lining because of the drug intake .

She can take an OTC anti ulcer medication like Prilosec once a day without any food ( She take one immediately ) . Drink plenty of water. DO NOT take any pain medications. Continue rest of medications, but take them after food.

If the pain is persisting and/or unbearable - other possibilities are also there which can only be ruled out by further tests.Do not hesitate to attend ER in this scenario.

I will keep this consult open indefinitely so that you can get back to me any time. In case if you need an urgent reply drop a message to support@doctorspring.com

There is nothing to worry, most like this is drug induced gastritis which can be treated with Prilosec. But as mentioned in case of a distress do attend ER. In case of any abnormal symptoms like vomiting , black coloured stools, pain on touching abdomen urgent attention is required.

Hope this helps, Feel free to ask followups.