Masturbating and spread of warts in body

Hi doctor, I am affected with common warts and there are some warts seen in my body except in genital areas. I heard that warts can be spread through skin contacts. If so, can masturbation result to the spread of common warts to genital areas too, making it genital warts? Or only sexual intercourse causes spread of genital warts?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Common warts are also infectious in nature and can be spread to the entire body through sexual and non-sexual contacts. So, it can be spread throughout the body through masturbation process. Using barrier methods for sex, like condoms can prevent the spread of virus and thereby prevent the spread of warts, but it also do not ensure 100% protection from HPV infections. Hope your query is answered. 

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center