Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Muscle injury after working out

Resolved Question:

My chest hurts.
I was at the gym and doing missionary bicep curls i think thats what theyre called and so its on a machine and theres kinda like a bar that ur chest leans on or like just touches it but the weight pulled me into it suddenly and it felt like my chest like pushed in its how i can explain it and it followed by a slight squeezie crackle sound i dunno how to really explain it and then it just hurt and i tried bicepe curling some more but had to cut my gym time down and now it just hurts and expecialy when i breath or go to get up i dunno what to do i go to work in half an hour

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Diabetologist
 19 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.

I know the Biceps curl machine and I very well understand what you have described. Most likely the sudden pressure on the chest while curling the biceps up would have caused a muscle trauma, injuring the muscle fibers by causing some pressure. This is most likely.

However the crackling sound and the pain while breathing in concerns me about a possible dislocated rib or a minor fracture. I would recommend the following :

1.For the time being you can take an OTC pain medication like Ibuprofen 400mg.
2. If the pain and symptoms subside you can observe this for few days. Do not workout for 5 - 7 days. Avoid upper body exercises.
3. But if the pain persists, or if there is catching pain on breathing deep, or if there is breathing difficulty a fractured / dislocated rib has to suspected. In that I recommend a ER / Doctor visit for a chest xray.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups /clarifications
Thank you

Patient replied :

Whats a OTC pain medication?

OTC - Over the counter pain tablets like Mortin / Advil (Ibuprofen).
These medications you can get from a Pharmacy without Doctors prescription and can help in relieving the pain and inflammation.

Thank you

Patient replied :

And the pain is directly in the middle of my chest like above the sternum when i bend it hurts and i cant take a deep breath it hurts do u think i should see a local GP? On my break at work if possible or is it emergancy and should go asap an call in sick ? I dont wanna call in sick if its pretty much nothing like u know

If the pain is not sever and if this is not affecting your breathing you can wait for a day or two see your GP. But have a judicious wait and watch policy. In case of breathing difficulty get medical help as soon as possible.

Thank you
Feel free to ask followups / clarifications.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: Diabetologist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Senior Residency in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news