MYCOLOGICAL RISK by smoking wood with green mold.

I smoked some ribs with wood that had some grey/green mold on it. Not a lot but a thin coating in spots. I didn't really think about until some searching showed some potential risks mycological risks.

What is the risk associated with this? Do I need to take any immediate action?

Category: Pulmonologist

Expert:  Dr. Jacob George Pulinilkunnathil replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.

Dear sir / madam,
Are you allergic to smoke or have asthma?
More than burning firewood with molds, its the storing of the same that is associated with mycological / allergic harms.
Its the spores on the molds that cause harm rather than the smoke of burned molds.

The smoke of burned molds can cause health problems if you are asthmatic or allergic, else no risk.
I do not foresee any danger in case you accidently burned some molds for smoking ribs.
There is no need for any immediate action for the same.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to discuss further.

Dr. Jacob George P.,
MD, IDCCM, FCCP.

Dr. Jacob George Pulinilkunnathil
Residency, Post Graduation: MD, Respiratory Medicine, J L N Medical College, Ajmer, Rajasthan (2012).
Medical School, Internship: MBBS, Government Medical College, Kottayam, 2001-07 
Indian Diploma in Critical Care Medicine (IDCCM) - Medical Trust Hospital, 2013-2014.