Recommendation for MRI LUMBOSACRAL SPINE REPORT.

Hi doc, I have upload mri lumbosacral spine screening report. Can you please recommended what should be done in the case ?

Category: Neurosurgeon

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 4 Days.

After seeing the report I definitely feel that you need to undergo surgery in your spine - lumbar discectomy at L4-5 level.
In this surgery, the herniated disc material at the lumbar level is removed so as to produce relief from the symptoms which arise when the protruding disc material impinges on the nerve roots.
Hope this helps,

Apart from surgery, do you think there is any other option ? Is surgery safe in this case ?

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 3 Days.

The extruded disc cannot be handled by any other means. Surgery is a must. If it is performed by a neurosurgeon with an operating microscope, it is absolutely safe.

What about therapy session such as traction therapy ? The patient does not have pain while in lying posture. While she walks, she feels pain and after stopping for few moments, the pain is relieved. I have consulted another neurosurgeon in my city. In the first instance, he also suggested for surgery but after seeing the patient, he said either the surgery or therapy sessions for long term.
I am not trying to avoid surgery but is the case too serious to have surgery in first instance ?

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 2 Days.

The extruded disc in no way be removed unless a surgery is done. The patient will definitely be having a problem.
The symptom what you explained is called claudication. If you want to get rid of it then surgery is the only option.

Dr. Goutham Cugati
Residency: Neurosurgery, the Post-Graduate Institute of Neurological Surgery, Dr. Achanta Lakshmipathi Neuro surgical Center, VHS Hospital, Chennai, 2011

Postgraduate in Neurosugery: DNB, National Board of Examinations,
Part 1 - 2008, Part 2 -  2010

Medical School: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, JSS Medical College, 2004