Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Scraped wound on thigh with dressing cotton sticking

I have a wound on my left thigh. This was caused by a scraping of the skin when i had a fall from my two-wheeler. Met the doc and she did the dressing yesterday and asked me to remove it the next day. But now when i try to remove it the cotton seems to have stuck to the skin. And removing it is peeling the skin too. What should i do? Shall i remove the cotton or shall i leave it to get dried and fall on its own

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring .

I understand that you have sustained a wound over the left thigh and you have problem while removing the dressing . That should not be much of a problem . As your doctor has advised you , it is best to remove the dressing than wait for it to fall off as there is a high chance of increasing wound infection .

Wound healing occurs in 3 stages namely :

a)Inflammatory phase - following an injury , the blood vessels at the site of the wound contract and result in clot formation . Once the clot is formed , the blood vessels dilate and white blood cells fight against the microbes . Here signs of inflammation like redness , swelling , warmth are seen .

b) Proliferation phase - This phase deals with rebuilding of new granulation tissue with collagen and blood vessels known as Angiogenesis .

c) Maturation phase - is the last phase where the wound gets closed .
However wound healing may be delayed due to certain factors like infection , dead skin , hemorrhage . In regard to your question , it would be best to remove the cotton gently using normal saline solution or moisten the cotton with water . It is much easier to remove it through this method . You could also trickle water while removing the cotton . It is not a problem if a little skin comes along while removing it . once it is removed , you can use a topical application like Betadine cream twice a day for 5 days over the wound .

Hope this helps .
Thank you .

Dr. Deepu S Sebastian

Users who read this, also read:

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation

CHAT NOW

DoctorSpring in news