Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

String like thing with pain inside elbow. Treatment?

Resolved Question:

I have pain in the inside of my elbow, just below the biceps and to the inside. The painful "thing" is like a "string" that raises up when the arm is flexed. I attach two photos with an arrow pointing at it. I can feel the pain even with a very gentle move (just holding the arm at 90º is enough). It's as if that "string" were overstretched, it feels very strained, and it is as if a minimum effort was able to pull it very strongly. I can extend the elbow with no pain, however.
I started feeling this pain (but in a very mild way) 6-7 weeks ago doing biceps curls (very light weight, and no more weight than usual). I stopped and have not gone to the gym since (I have coccygodinia and no longer attend the gym) but the pain continued with domestic chores etc and this morning it has come to this point when just holding the arm flexed with a dish causes mild pain in that string (maybe I slept in a bad position or have made some effort?). The pain grows stronger if I make a bigger effort but I dont dare to try too much.
I would like to go to my GP but since today is saturday I won't be able to see him until tuesday if I am lucky.
Can you tell me what it is that is wrong with my arm and what should I do in the meanwhile? Should the pain subside if I keep it at rest? Thank you.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Spine Surgeon
 29 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at
Thanks for writing to us.
I have read your history and saw the attached pictures. With the history given and pics, it appears to be a case of biceps tendon injury (mostly) or common flexor tendon injury, which is quite common post gym.
To confirm the diagnosis, we need to examine you clinically & may require investigation also. So I advice you to visit your Orthopaedic doctor.
Meanwhile, please give rest to elbow, avoid excess movements, apply ice locally & use anti inflammatory medications. This should help you.
I hope our opinion will help you.
Stay happy & healthy,

Dr. Karun Jain
Category: Spine Surgeon
MBBS, 2002 - Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
D.Orth, 2009- J.S.S Medical College, Mysore
MS - Orthopaedics, 2011 - University of Seychelles - American Institute of Medicine
Currently pursuing ChM (Trauma & Orthopedics) from The Royal college of Surgeons, Edinburgh & University of Edinburgh, U.K
Dr. Karun Jain and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news