There is a steady flow of blood. What's happening?

So right now is Monday and last week (Wednesday), I started bleeding. This was after I used a toy. I'm not sure if this is a vaginal tear but it doesn't hurt when I urinate. It just bleeds enough for me to have to use a pad every day.I was also supposed to get my period on Saturday but the blood right now is a bright red as opposed to my normal period color which is a dark red so I don't think I even have my period yet. There is no heavy/light flow just a steady flow of blood. What's happening? Please help. Age:21 years Female

Thank you for asking your query.

Since you are having fresh steady bleeding after using an instrument toy/instrument this is similar to a post coital bleeding. This bleed is not related to menstrual bleed. A vaginal tear can bleed, but it will not last more than few hours. Just like a cut in any other part of your body, a simple vaginal tear bleed should also stop within an hour.

So there could be a underlying pathology which is causing this bleeding following a trauma. And the most common causes in your age group are

1. Infections – Vaginitis, Cervicitis, Bacterial Vaginosis etc. can make the walls of vagina and cervix fragile and prone for bleeding.

2. A polyp Vaginal /Cervical polyp can be very fragile and can rupture easily leading to bleeding.

3. Cervical/ Vaginal Dysplasia – Atypical changes in vaginal/cervical wall.

So my recommendation is that, you should take this as a warning sign and you should visit a Gynaecologist. The bleeding per se is harmless as of now, but you need to rule out any underlying problem. This will require a physical examination and some blood tests. So an appointment with a Gynaecologist is the best way to proceed next.