Tongue comes out in new born baby. Any SYNDROME?

I have a new born girl. one week
old.
some times the tounges come out while not in sleep, thydroid is normal,is it any symptoms of syndrome

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

I can understand your concerns. Your child's face does not appear syndromic. A syndromic facies consists of abnormalities of eyes, ears, nose or other features. Abnormalities could be due to alteration in size, shape and relative position of a part.
It is also to be noted that an infant's facial features continue to evolve through out the first year and more so in the first few days of life. Though it is difficult to be absolutely sure ( as the baby's ears are not seen in PIC), your baby does not seem to have any obvious dysmorphism or syndrome.
Tongue protrusion outside the mouth can be a feature of down syndrome, hypothyroidism, mucopolysaccharidoses, etc.
My advice is to send me another photo two weeks down the line without any cap showing the head as well as ears. It would also be prudent to monitor the baby's length, head circumference and weight gain.
Dr. Saptharishi L G

Respected Doctor
My baby is seven month old now. She is a baby girl. Her weight is 8.7 kg and head circumference is 42 cm. She has flat facial feature and some times tongue will come out. Her nose is flat. She has already crossed all developmental milestones upto six months including rolling over, catches toys, smiling, making sounds etc . My pediatrician said she has extra fold in her eyes and it is due to some racial differences. I am attaching a photo of her and please zoom it.
Doctor, Whether it is a symptom of mental retardation or any other problem.
Kindly Reply
Sujo

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 3 Days.

This consult has been over a month old now, and hence will be closed by the system.
Kindly initiate a new consult if you want the same specialist to reply.

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008