Took 5 AMBIEN PILLS. Will it show in URINE DRUG TEST?

Last week, my 18 yo son took 5 of my ambien pils. they are 10 mg pills. He swears it was not a suicide attempt..he just couldn't sleep. His psychiatrist suggested melatonin which we have gotten. I am concerned because he has a urine drug screen on three days and I don't know if the ambien will show in it. How long does ambien show in urine and do routine drug screens even look for it?

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Well ambien is a sleeping pill and is very closely related to benzodiazepine. Hence it is very much likely that ambien is detected in urine and at times it may even show up as benzodiazepines. The ambien geberally stays in urine for 3-4 days butnif somebody is a fast metabolizer then it may be shut of in 2 days as well.
Its unfortunate that this incident has happened just before the urine drug test. I guess you should actually report what actually happened as there is a goor chance that the urine will show off the drug.

If you have any further query, do let me know.

Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

He actually has a prescription for Ativan, which his PO knows about. I was more concerned about the test directly chacking for ambien. If he tests positive for a benzodiazapine, he will still pass his test, but if they directly test for ambien, he might not. Can Ambien be detected in urinew 10 days after use?

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

10 days is a long time and ambien is mostly not detected in urine after 10 days of usage. So you should not worry.
It may show up as benzo and in that case you may use the prescription.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.