Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Treatment for CONGENITAL KYPHOSIS without surgery.

Resolved Question:

I am 36 year old male. I have a mild congenital kyphosis that was diagnosed when I was 5-6 years old patientold.There is no pain associated with it and I have no trouble functioning in the daily life. I do not think that this condition is progressing - it has been pretty much the same all my life. It is the cosmetic aspect that bothers me the most. I am aware that it may possibly be treated with spinal fusion or through exercise.Since, spinal fusion entails risks, it probably would not be a good choice for me.
1) I was wondering if there are any potential treatments, other than major surgery, that may correct the deformity? The reason I am asking is because I think that there may be some innovations in how this condition can be management.
2) How likely that a surgery is recommended to correct the deformity? If it is recommended, what are the risks and limitations that I would have to live with?

Thank you!

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Spine Surgeon
 32 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at
I have gone through details of your question & pictures which you have sent.
It looks by pictures that you are having mild degree of scoliosis as well as kyphosis.This looks to be less then fifteen degree deformity.As per treatment standards you can be easily treated by exercises.You should consult to a orthopedic doctor first who may order some x rays to assess your deformity.Depending on this he may refere you to a physiotherapist with specialization in spine deformities.I hope you will recover from deformity & maintain a good life.
With best wishes.

Patient replied :

Thank you for your response.I can imagine that exericse can make a difference if there was some kind of muscular imbalance, yet in my case, I it is bone that is deformed. I do understand that increaing strengths of muscle group may improve posture a little, but I just do not see how exercise can straighten the bone. - Can you give me some idea how exercises can make a difference in the part of the spine(bone), considering that it is the bone that is deformed? - If I went to an appointment and they ran X-ray and MRI, then what is it that they may find that could make treatment much easier / harder? The reason I am asking is that I cannot afford to pay several thousand dollars for diagnostic only to be recommended to exercise or do a surgery. Are there any specific features in my condition that X-ray may identify to make treatment much easier? What may be treatment options other that exercise and/or high risk surgery?

Welcome .
After going through your pictures it does not looks that your deformity is severe.Lesser degree deformity can be corrected by exercises and surgery is not recommend for them.I advised you to have x rays so that correct angle,grade of deformity and cause of deformity can be determined.
In case of surgery generally osteotomy or cutting of vertebral bone at multiple level(with severe deformity ) and only balancing with rodes and fixation is advised in lesser degree of deformity .Hope this will help you.
With best wishes.

Patient replied :

Dr Tiwari,
I do not undertand how exerice can correct bone disorders as opposed to muscular imbalance? Can you please explain how exercise can correct pinal deformity caused by deformed vertebrae (bone)?

You should know that mild deformities are commonly due to idiopathic reasons i.e. there are no reasons except muscle imbalances& they are easily corrected by special exercises but if there is vertebral deformity(which should be confirmed by MRI Scan) then surgery is only answer.
With best wishes.

Patient replied :

I personally feel that "vertebral deformity" is more likely in my case, because when I try to straighten by back it feels that my range of motion is limited by vertebral deformity, rather than muscles. Considering this, what do you think more likely in my case "muscle imbalances" or "vertebral deformity"?

By such statement i can not comment on your deformity.It should be checked by x ray & MRI .This will hep in ruling out the problem.
With best wishes.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Category: Spine Surgeon
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995
Dr. Mukesh Tiwari and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news