pass kidney stone naturally

My fiance is passing a kidney stone.  He is in intense pain and cannot urinate.  I cannot get him to Urgent Care.  Is there anything that I can get that will help it pass?  Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query :
I understand your difficult situation and I would try my best to help you out here.

From your description I understand that you are having pain and difficulty in urination. This is a common sign of Kidney stones are you suspect. But it can be something else also. With out proper evaluation it will be difficult to come to a conclusion. Also please note the stones might not always "pass off" in the urine. It all depends on the size and location. 

The inability to pass the urine is probably due to an associated spasm : Here are few methods which will help you to pass the urine,

1. Pain medication : If you have a over the counter pain medication (like Ibuprofen) available you can take it. (provided there is no allergy for the medication)Continued Pain will result in further spasm.

2. Water Intake : This is tricky. If you are absoultely not at all able to pass urine for more than 6 hours, you should not take additional large amounts of water. But if you are still able to pass some amount of urine or if you are dehydrated you should take enough water. 

3.Hot compress : You can apply a mildly warm compress over the bladder (lower abdomen) and sides. This might also help in relieving the spasm .

4.Try to pass urine in front of running tap : This is not an evidence based recommendation, but seem to work in certain men. Try to urinate in the presence of a running water tap. This might give psychological stimulation and may help in passing urine.  

5: Medical help. It is not prudent to delay medical help. If the above measures are not helping I would recommend getting medical help. I do understand that it is not easy for you, but considering the severe pain of patient and to avoid any complication, this will be best approach.

Please feel free to ask followup questions via this email itself . Thank you.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center