A new question is answered every 9 seconds

pass kidney stone naturally

Resolved Question:

My fiance is passing a kidney stone.  He is in intense pain and cannot urinate.  I cannot get him to Urgent Care.  Is there anything that I can get that will help it pass?  Thank you!

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist
Dr. Steve Merris is online now

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query :
I understand your difficult situation and I would try my best to help you out here.

From your description I understand that you are having pain and difficulty in urination. This is a common sign of Kidney stones are you suspect. But it can be something else also. With out proper evaluation it will be difficult to come to a conclusion. Also please note the stones might not always "pass off" in the urine. It all depends on the size and location. 

The inability to pass the urine is probably due to an associated spasm : Here are few methods which will help you to pass the urine,

1. Pain medication : If you have a over the counter pain medication (like Ibuprofen) available you can take it. (provided there is no allergy for the medication)Continued Pain will result in further spasm.

2. Water Intake : This is tricky. If you are absoultely not at all able to pass urine for more than 6 hours, you should not take additional large amounts of water. But if you are still able to pass some amount of urine or if you are dehydrated you should take enough water. 

3.Hot compress : You can apply a mildly warm compress over the bladder (lower abdomen) and sides. This might also help in relieving the spasm .

4.Try to pass urine in front of running tap : This is not an evidence based recommendation, but seem to work in certain men. Try to urinate in the presence of a running water tap. This might give psychological stimulation and may help in passing urine.  

5: Medical help. It is not prudent to delay medical help. If the above measures are not helping I would recommend getting medical help. I do understand that it is not easy for you, but considering the severe pain of patient and to avoid any complication, this will be best approach.

Hope this helps. 

Please feel free to ask followup questions via this email itself . Thank you.

Dr. Steve Merris
Category: Internal Medicine Specialist
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center
Dr. Steve Merris and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.