Treatment of CONDYLOMA CERVIX, GENITAL WARTS in pregnancy.

My sister is in her 30th week of pregnancy and is just diagnosed with Condyloma cervix. She has genital wart around 1.5-2cm in size. Her doctors advised Condylox solution for getting rid of the wart. Unfortunately, we can’t find this solution in here and the pharmacies recommended Condyline solution instead. As I read in internet, both Condylox and Condiline are forbidden for pregnancy. Am I right?
What treatment would you recommend in this case? What are the major concerns of this decease?
Thank you very much.
Regards, Tses

First of , Condylox and Condyline solutions, both have the same pharmacological composition.
You can use either one.
But yes, both of them are not supposed to be used during pregnancy.
In this case, warts can be removed by local freezing with liquid nitrogen, by direct surgery, or cautery done by a gynecologist.
Both procedures are safe during pregnancy.
There are no major complications of this disease, but yes, it can be passed on to the child, particularly if the mother has active genital warts during a vaginal birth.
The child , rarely, may develop warts on the vocal cords, leading to breathing difficulties.
This is serious, but rare.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.

Dear Dr.Arti,
Thank you very much for your advise.
Can you please further advise whether she can prevent from the risk of transfering the desease to her baby, if she deliver her baby by having operation (surgery)?
Also, does she have risks to develop any kind of cancer because of Condyloma cervix?
Thank you again,
Regards, Tses

IF she is having active genital warts at the time of delivery, then yes, c section can be preferred.
Also, mostly warts are caused by low risk HPV virus, so chances of developing a cancer are very less.
6 months after delivery, , she should have a Pap smear and high risk HPV testing, to know if she has also acquired the high risk HPV that often leads to cancer of the cervix, vagina, anus etc.
Take care !

Thank you Doctor,
I am just told that she has already had Cervix Pap test two days agoand she is waiting for the test result.
You advised to take this test 6 months after delivery. Is that because, the test is not suggested for prenancy? So far, she feels ok after the test. Does the test during pregnancy have serios concern that may appear later on?
Thank you,
Tses

Relax.
The test does not have any side effects if done during pregnancy.
However, the results are not reliable when taken during pregnancy due to hormonal changes.
Hence, the Pap smear is best done a few months after childbirth, when her hormones are back to normal.
That is all.
If it has been done , no issues, and no concerns.
Follow up Pap can be done after the baby is born.

Hello Doctor,
Following up my previous query.
My sister is now on her 36th week of pregnancy. Her doctor decided to use Condyline for the wart even as it is not active wart, because the doctor concerns that this might pass to the child.
The doctor never mentioned about the alternative method of freezing with liqued nitrogen. As I understand from your advice, this method is safer than Codyline during pregnancy.
Can you please advice which of the above methods would be preferred? Thank you very much for your advice.

Best Regards,
Tsevelmaa

Expert:  Dr. Aarti Vazirani replied 1 Day.

Hello again.
Can you clarify by what you mean when you say that it is not an active wart ?
Condyline CANNOT be used in pregnancy.
Laser, Cryotherapy ( cold therapy ) or local TCA ( trichloroacetic acid ) are the only methods approved.
Choice amongst them depends on - number of warts, size, location etc.
So please elaborate on that.