What causes the swelling in my left ankle and foot

I'm 42 and was diagnosed with gout last week because of swelling in my left ankle and foot. I was given colcrys but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Could there be another explanation for my swelling? My blood tests were all fine.

Thank you for asking your query.

Your blood tests are all normal. And I assume no joint aspiration was done. In that case I think your Doctor might have made a provisional (or a probable) diagnosis of gout. This should be confirmed by certain specific blood tests like Uric Acid levels. Also some joint fluid needs to be examined under microscope to confirm it. With out this you can never be sure that it is Gout. Other possibilities are joint inflammation, infection (septic arthritis), post infectious arthritis (typically other joints are involved), traumatic arthritis, and pseudo gout.

So colcrys might not help much in your case. You can take an NSAID (pain medication) in consult with your Doctor. Next step would be an Xray and Joint aspiration study if the pain and swelling is still persisting.

Please feel free to ask any followup questions via this email itself

Dr.Deepak Misra MBBS, MD

Fellow in Rhuematology

www.doctorspring.com