What steps do I need to take after having unprotected sex with an HPV infected person?

Hello doctor, I would like to know that I have some information about std list and yesterday I had sex and my partner later came to know that she had a problem with her pap test. As the sex was unprotected, what are the steps that I need to take now due to my proneness to the infection?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thank you for the question. First of all I would like you to know that out of the entire std list, this is the most easily transmittable disease. Therefore a person always needs to be very careful with this disease. The major cause of transmittance of HPV is unprotected intercourse. The involvement of vagina or anus in sex leads to this disease being transmitted to the partner. Even the oral sex transmits this disease. Further, it is not necessary that the symptoms of this disease be visible in a few days. It may take years before a person shows the symptoms to this disease despite of being not involved in any sexual activity at that particular time. Normally the HPV is cleared by the body in 2 years. In some cases the disease also leads to cancer. Secondly, out of the whole std list, HPV is the one that cannot be detected in males through any test. This is the worst part of the disease, therefore I would request you to approach a doctor and discuss the whole case. You need to wait for some time and if the infection is visible in the genitals then you definitely need to approach a physician. If a woman is confirmed to have HPV then she needs to play safe in sex and in that case a male can judge his case as well if he has an unprotected intercourse with her. I hope that serves your purpose, all the best.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital