Worried of catching HIV after first oral sex

I'm worried that I may have caught HIV. I gave a man oral sex just over 12 days ago and I have been feeling unwell since the day after. I have had flu like symptoms, cough, fatigue, acute muscle aches, phlegm (green during the first 7 days), sore throat (persisting), headaches and inability to concentrate on tasks very occasionally. I have not been tested for any sti before but the man I gave oral sex to had been checked one month prior and was completely clean (so he says). This was my first sexual experience, I have read that oral sex poses a very low risk and that symptoms don't usually show until 2 weeks after infection. Can you give me some advice, I don't really want to go to a health clinic to get tested. What is your opinion on this? Do you think I have HIV or is it just flu or a cold?

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist

Thanks for your query at Doctor Spring.

It is theoretically possible to get the HIV virus by giving oral sex, although the percentage is low. I would call it only a textbook possibility and it never really occurs unless there was any open wounds in the mouth and penis. So do not worry.

It seems like you are experiencing flu like symptoms which most likely is unrelated to this episode. You can take an OTC anti allergy medication.(like Allegra)and Tylenol for the aches. If this symptoms persists a bacterial infection has to be suspected and you might need antibiotics.

However It is impossible to know without getting tested (for like 100% sure). So just go for a simple antibody test after 4-6 weeks (from the episode of oral sex). Get in touch with your local STD clinic. This is no big deal and do not hesitate. The negative result will give you peace of mind too.

Please feel free to ask followup questions.

Thank you. Does it sound like a coincidence or is it possible the symptoms could be from ars? Although I thought it was way too early for the symptoms to be showing up

It's more like a coincidence. Yes Seroconversion syndrome is possible, but it bit early. Moreover this syndrome is not universal. Add to that the less likelihood of HIV transmission via Oral sex even if the partner was HIV positive, also the less likelihood your partner is HIV positive -- Summing up it is very much likely to be coincidental.