Acute Gasttroenteritis.

I'm a 22 year old female, and I vomited rather violently last night (I 'll admit that I overindulged and felt ill after). I started to feel rather like something is sitting on my chest later that night, and still feel that way. I can breathe fine, it just feels slightly difficult to breathe, and there is a slight ache. Those are my only symptoms. I've had full blood work done and my heart checked within the last week, so I don't think it is that (I am seeing a cardiologist for a rapid heartbeat). Long story short, I scared myself by going online. Could I have ruptured my esophagus while vomiting?

I would like to know some additional information from you. This will help me in forming a learned opinion.

Was there any blood in the vomitus ?
Are you able swallow and drink fluids normally ? Any pain on doing so ?
Any fever, lethargy ?

You can reply as a followup.

No blood in vomit, no pain while eating and drinking,no fever or lethargy.

Most probably you are having an alcohol induced gastritis. There appears no symptoms suggestive of Ruptured oesophagus or anything serious as a matter of fact. However heavy drinking does come with its own risks.

For now you can take an OTC anti ulcer medication like Prilosec for 7 days just before sleep (without any food). This should heal the stomach mucosa damaged by the alcohol.

Aspiration is another possibility ( the stomach contents going into lungs while vomiting). This is less likely. Just be cautious. If the symptoms, especially if the breathlessness persist you should get medical help ( An Xray will be required in that case).

Most likely the symptoms will resolve with Prilosec. Avoid spicy irritant foods, alcohol.

Feel free to ask followups