Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

After softball hit on my inside ankle bone, started to swell, could not walk.

Resolved Question:

hi, about 2 maybe bit more months ago, I was walking when my friend ditched the softball (it was not soft! very hard nearly like a cricket ball!) and it hit me on my inside ankle bone. It hurt so much. I could walk on it but limped and it was really sore. It started to swell straight away and was bruising that night. I had a limp in my walk for a while when I could soon bear walking around with really no pain. It was pretty swollen and bruised for a week a bit more, and it sometimes look a little bit swollen now. When I press or hit my bone it really hurts again and is that way for a while. I am thinking about going to a doctor to get an x-ray but think that there is nothing wrong with it, just some bruising. I have a high pain threshold, as when I was younger I hurt my wrist and for the next week was using it but then changing to my other hand. My parents took me to a doctor and he said there was nothing wrong but would x-ray it just to be sure. I was swinging on the bars and everything and it turned our to be a greenstick fracture. I really want to go to a doctor but think I will go and there will be nothing wrong. My father thinks I should wait 6 weeks and see how it feels, but I want to kind of know now so it is out the way. please help!

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 22 Doctors Online


From your symptoms, it appears you have fractured your ankle.

Your complaints of inability to walk with pain for about a week clearly suggests you have fractured your uncle. The bad thing about fractures if not corrected the connective tissue deposition for growth of fractured bone wouldn’t occur in an aligned way. Therefore, there will be growth in disorganized way.

Once that happens then surgery has to be done to remove the extra bone, you definitely want to avoid this. I suggest you consult an orthopaedician; at the most only a cast will be needed to align the fractured bone.

You can take Tylenol for pain. Take combiflam for swelling twice a day for three days. Your swelling should come down by then. A cast will be put for 4 weeks, following 4 weeks, a X-ray will be taken to check if its healed. If not, cast will be put for few more days. Thank you

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news