Alternating depressive symptoms and extreme positive feelings

Hi. I am Rahul. I work as Network Engineer in one of the well known Telecom company in US. Recentely I have had failures on more than one occassions in my career and personal life. I am aware of the fact that i am little over ambititous. From few months I am having anxiety, strong sense of depression while sleeping, infrequent insomnia, sometimes sudden mood swings(Transaction from feeling depressed to feeling extremely positive). I am afraid that these might be symptoms of Bipolar disorder. How do i avoid these and keep my focus clear?

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your consult at DoctorSpring.com, I have gone through it in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The symptoms that you have mentioned of on and of sadness of mood, insomnia,mood swings and others all suggest that you may be having a depressive episode. It seems to be distressing for you and you should certainly seek treatment for the same. These symptoms will require treatment with anti depressants such as venlafaxine, fluoxetine, mirtazapine, escitalopram or desvenlafaxiine. Any of the medications should be good for you and you need to take these medicines for around 8 to 10 months.

If you want to avoid medicines then the other option is cogntive behavioura therapy. This therapy involves focussing on your thoughts and changing their pattern there by helping in the relief of symptoms.
Try exercising daily and eat healthy food.

Hope this helps, If you have any further queries I will be more than happy to help you.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Thanks for reply doctor. The medicines you described, are they available without prescription? or Do I need to have them prescribed by doctor? Also, do you think relocating to another location might help?I am almost sure that my place has major hand in upsetting mood.

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

I am sorry about this part but these medicines wont be available without prescription and you will have to see a local doctor who can help you with a prescription.

You need not change the place in a haste. Many a times we are not able to take rational decisions while being depressed and later repent. You may continue to work and stay at the same place. Add some aerobic exercise to your schedule and try adding some hobby to your life. Both of them may help you.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.