Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Balanitis with red rash on penis.

Resolved Question:

I have various sections of my penis which have red inflammations on them and tend to scab over. How do I get rid of them?

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 32 Doctors Online


Thanks for your query at

You have what is called balanitis, or an inflammation of your penis. This can be caused by a number of reasons including an allergy to an irritant, eczema, or an infection either by bacteria, virus or fungus. If you have had unprotected sex recently, then you could have contracted a sexually transmitted disease or infection from an infected partner. Here is what I suggest:

1. Wait 1 day and see if the symptoms regress. If so, then you will not require treatment.

2. If symptoms persist, I recommend you get evaluated by a local physician as you most likely have an infection. A professional may be able to tell you a diagnosis just by looking at the lesions.

3. You may also require some testing including swab cultures from the scabs, blood tests, allergy testing, and possibly a biopsy may be necessary if a diagnosis is not reached. Most likely your general practitioner should be able to diagnosis or he may refer you to a dermatologist.

4. For fungal infections such as thrush anti-fungal therapy is the treatment with fluconazole creams or oral pills if severe infection. Viral infections such as herpes, require acyclovir therapy and allergic reactions can get relieved by steroid creams.

The treatment varies and will depend on the diagnosis. In the meantime, do not use harsh soaps on the area and wash with warm water daily. Wear lose clothes and underwear to prevent further irritation.

I hope these suggestions will help and please feel free to ask any follow-up questions. Take care and be well. Thank you.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news