CALCIFIED CEPHALHEMATOMA in scans. What can be done?

What can be done when you have (calcified) cephalhematoma? Im 22 btw

Scans + 1 month post op and 1 year post op pictures included

Category: Neurosurgeon

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 4 Days.

I understand your concern and have reviewed all your post op pictures.
A calcified old cephal hematoma requires no treatment.

You don't need any further intervention and leave it the way it is.

Thank you for the reply.

The thing is that there is more than only a lump on my head. My scalp is itching a lot on that area, its becomes warm and my arteries on my templs are pulsating/bulging even when Im resting or sleeping. It didnt have this before the surgery. Also I have some kind of hairloss going till the scar, after the scar there is no thinning at all. There is some kind of inflammation happening there. So I think if I find a way to remove this cephalhematoma, all those problems will be gone.

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 3 Days.

The symptoms that you are mentioning here are definitely not due to cephal hematoma. I would recommend you to see your plastic surgeon who will find a solution for the same.

And cephal hematoma would not have occurred after the recent plastic surgery as it can occur only in new borns.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7792707
It only occurs in newborns you say? Im sorry but its not correct. I have a scalp expansion as you can see on the pictures and its only till the suture lines when touching. so its definetly between the skull and the pericranium. Please help me

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 2 Days.

Cephalhematoma is very very rare occurrence in adults that only very very few exceptions are reported in the journals. Even if we assume that you are having a cephal hematoma, yours is atiny one which I would periodically observe with serial scan. It would not require any intervention as of now. Your symptoms mentioned may be due to the plastic surgery performed. However I would want you to see your plastic surgeon in this regard. If he strongly feels that your symptoms are not surgery related you can have a consultation with a neurosurgeon.

Cephalhematoma, internal bleeding, ... Call it how you want it. One thing is sure, there is some bleeding going on there. When I shower with cold water, it causes vasoconstriction and the expansion on my head is getting smaller (the more I stay under the cold water, the more it is reducing in size). My guess is a cappilary rupture in the pericranium. What can I do?

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 1 Day.

Thank you for your follow up.
I can understand your concern over the mild swelling and its changing size while taking a shower.
But it is highly unlikely that its internal bleeding since there is no reason why your brain arteries should spontaneously rupture in the absence of trauma or high BP. If the swelling changes size its highly unlikely that the swelling is bony in nature since bony content cannot expand and regress the way you have described.
Therefore my recommendation to you would be to visit a neurosurgeon in person.
1)In the absence of a headache, neurological deficit or seizures, your swelling does not appear to be a major cause for concern for any underlying condition.
2)However, if a neurosurgeon can physically examine you to asses the size, consistency he can determine whether it is a capillary bleed or calcified cephalhematoma. Which of the above it can be, he will probably advise no further management since these resolve on their own with time. The only time surgical drainage can be recommended is if the swelling causes symptoms of increased intracranial pressure.
Hope this helps,

Dr. Goutham Cugati
Residency: Neurosurgery, the Post-Graduate Institute of Neurological Surgery, Dr. Achanta Lakshmipathi Neuro surgical Center, VHS Hospital, Chennai, 2011

Postgraduate in Neurosugery: DNB, National Board of Examinations,
Part 1 - 2008, Part 2 -  2010

Medical School: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, JSS Medical College, 2004