Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pain in abdomen, no appetite with negative H-PYLORI.

Resolved Question:

Dear Doctor,
I am the mother of a twenty-one year old young man. In the recent past my son has had an insatiable appetite. He has a slender build and can eat just about anything and doesn't gain any weight. I was the same way when I was his age. However, lately he has been having pain in his abdominal area and he has no appetite. He also has some acid reflux. He has to force himself to eat. He has been tested for H Pylori and it came back negative. They have him on Prilosec and Sucralfate, neither of which seems to be helping him. I am very concerned and feel like his doctors may be missing something.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you,
Teresa Seely

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Hepatologist
Dr. Ratnakar Kini is online now

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.
1. Since when is he having this symptom?
2. Is the pain in the upper or lower abdomen?
3. Does the pain wake him up from sleep?
4. Is there any weight loss?
5. Any tests done so far?

Patient replied :

1) All summer-maybe before. He was away at school
2) Upper
3) I don't believe so.
4) Yes, 10 lbs according to him.
5) H-Pylori is the only one I know for sure. They have not scoped him or done any imaging.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

Thanks for the additional information.
Upper abdomen is the area where the stomach, pancreas, liver and the gallbladder are situated.
Any issues related to these organs can cause abdominal pain.
Since you have mentioned that he has weight loss also, issues related to stomach , pancreas and small bowel should be looked in to and I would suggest you to get an upper GI endoscopy and a CT scan of the abdomen which will provide a clue about what has gone wrong.
Discuss with his doctor about getting these tests done.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Category: Hepatologist
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University
Dr. Ratnakar Kini and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on


Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.