Pain in leg with swelling on standing after soccer.

Gender, Age : Male , 20 years
From : Lebanon

I played a soccer match 2 months ago , and woke up next day with extreme pain that I couldn't walk on my right foot (ankle pain).I used crutches for 1 day , and the pain decreased 90% in 2 days.I kept feeling some annoying pain after standing for some time on the injured leg.After a month with minor pain, I went to an orthopedic and he told me I need a cast for 3 weeks and gave me a cortisone steroid injection before applying the cast.The pain disappeared after 3 weeks, but the my medial ankle bone is still in a bad shape.It is protruding a bit or maybe swollen and I feel that something should be done about it.Please check the attached pictures , I think my case is not uncommon and it can be diagnosed without an x-ray image.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your question with diligence.
It looks that either you are having sprain of collateral ligament at ankle orthere may be some intra articular injury to your ankle .Its good that you have relief in pain.The present swelling may be due to some intra articular or joint efussion.If you feel a continuous pain or swelling in joint even after next 4-6 weeks then you should have protected weight bearing ,you should also avoid heavy sport activity like running.You may have some scollagen supplements with mild anti inflammatory agents like advil till then.
Hope this will help you,

So is there is still fluid accumilating in my ankle ? For what is collagen used ? For how much should I take advil ? (2 weeks ?)

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 3 Days.

Yes,there may be still fluid in your ankle.Collagen is used to strengthen any weak area in ligament and cartilage.You may take Advil for at least 2weeks,this will help in reliving inflammation.
Hope this will help you.

Does my case require surgery if swelling didn't go away ?

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 2 Days.

It depends on future outcome of present treatment,but looking at present scenario there are bright chances that you will recover.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995