Repeated attacks of ear infections.

thank you for answering my query here. I have something else that have forgotten to tell you Doctor. My child also suffers from repeated attacks of ear infections. If it is winter, then I need not to tell how many times he gets ear infections. There is always some fluid coming out of his left ear when he gets cold. Also, he coughs a lot in these circumstances. Also, we have to shout to call him. I thought the hearing problem is due to some wax in his left ear. But now, because of the fluid in his left ear, I doubt his hearing effect is due to the same infection. Am I correct. Please advise me

Hello. Thanks for updating us about your follow-up question.

Repeated ear infections associated with common cold is due to the connection between the ear and the nose. The ear, nose and throat have a common connection posteriorly. The ear is connected to the nose and the throat through the eustachian tube. When there is an infection in the nose, like the cold, the secretions from the nose are carried back into the throat, where the secretions form a plug near the opening of the eustachian tube into the throat. This results in the blocking of eustachian tube, pooling up of secretions, and the resulting infections. The symptoms In this condition usually, are nose block, discharge from the ears, hearing difficulties,etc.