Redness and blistering of genital skin

Dear doctor,

From past three weeks, I am having the problem of some painful blister like appearances in my genital areas. The skin of the surrounding area as well as the mouth of the genitals is becoming more reddish in appearance and an irritation occurs all the time. Kindly treat me as soon as possible so that I could lead a normal life again, as I used to before. I am sending you the pics of the affected region. Is it the same as pics of herpes?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern. As is clear from the pics of herpes, there are many small blisters like formations on and around your genitals. The skin has also become very red and itchy. The main reason for the problem could be sexual contact with a person having the same problem. The fluids do the entire infection transmission act. The condition seldom arises if one restricts to only one partner.  The HSV or the herpes simplex virus is the one responsible for all the pains. A swab test is the confirmatory one, which just confirms its presence.

Coming to the treatment, apart from the antibiotics, as prescribed by the physician, a cool antiseptic cream meant for the genitals shall be applied before retiring at night or after bath.  The patient shall wear loose fitting clothes in order to be comfortable all the time and let air circulate in and out the affected area. The antiseptic powder can also be sprinkled over the affected region, which can help in combating of the infection as soon as possible. To relieve from the pain, painkillers like aspirin, can be taken, only on the advice of the consulting doctor. Good Luck.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital